HEATON MERSEY PARK AND BOWL
Heaton Mersey Park and Heaton Mersey Bowl are on the south side of Didsbury Road. Both these green spaces are part of the Heaton Mersey Conservation Area. The main entrances to the Park are on Richmond Road (to the top level) and Vale Close (to the lower level). See the google map at the end of the page.
The Park has two levels. The top level has a children’s play area, recreation and picnic areas and, at the far end, views across the Cheshire Plain. The lower level has a former bowling green and views across the Bowl. The Bowl is a large, steep-sided green space. In the early 1800s, cloth from the nearby Bleachworks (that was located at the bottom of Vale Rd on the edge of the River Mersey) would be pinned out here. Today, it has a football pitch in one corner, footpaths and benches around the edges.
Behind the Park and on the left as you reach the bottom end of Vale Close, are some steps up to the fishing pond. This was once one of two bleach works reservoirs that were locally referred to as ‘top pit’ (now a pond) and ‘bottom pit’ (now filled in).
Heaton Mersey Park opened in 1897, at the same time as Heaton Moor Park, as a memorial to Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee. It was opened by George Bailey, MP and a manager of the family business ‘Bailey’s brickworks’ on Harwood Road. The bowling green was laid in 1902.
The photo (below left) is a 1930s view looking across the Bowl to Heaton Mersey Park. Hover over the image and click the yellow tag to view it at Stockport Image Archive (reload the page if there is no tag). The archive has many more photos of the Park and the surrounding area for you to view.
To compare old Heaton Mersey with how it is today, click the yellow tag on the map image below. When map opens, use the transparency slider at the bottom left of page to change the view.
The Heaton Mersey Heritage Walk leaflet has more information about the history of Heaton Mersey and Heaton Mersey Park and Bowl.
(Tip: click anywhere on the map to remove legend)