Heaton Mersey Common is a local nature reserve (LNR) located on the north side of Didsbury Road. See google map at bottom of page. 

The image on left shows the main features: a large pond and a stream, woodland, a wildflower meadow and grassland all connected by footpaths.

To the north of the LNR is a recreation space; this was once the site of a large house and estate called ‘Priestnall Hey’, formerly ‘Heaton Villa’.

Heaton Mersey Common has a wide range of habitats providing shelter and food for wildlife.   Woodlands  support birds (e.g. great spotted woodpeckers), insects and plants (e.g. red campion).  Deadwood provides shelter for insects and other invertebrates, which are eaten by woodland birds, and fungi grows here, in the canopy and on the woodland floor.  Ponds support a range of plants, insects, birds, mammals and amphbians.  Click here for more information about the different UK wildlife habitats.

Visitors are encouraged to help protect the natural environment by following the countryside code.



Photo Credit: Stockport Image Archive

The nature reserve was once a brickworks with deep clay pits, resevoirs and train tracks to move the excavated clay to the brick kiln.

This image (left) from the early 1930s shows the clay and sand pits with the backs of the Hawthorn Rd houses in background. Hover image and click yellow icon to see this image and others at Stockport Image Archive (reload the page if the tag is not showing)

The brickworks was owned by the Bailey family from the mid 1800s to 1932 when J&A Jackson Ltd bought it to add to the many sites they owned across the North of England.  The site remained in their hands until the late 1960s, then it was used as a landfill site and later turned back into a green space.


(Tip: click anywhere on the map to remove legend)